Women's Self Defense Class
Women's STAR (Safety Tactics and Awareness Response) Program
The Seminole County Sheriff's Office is pleased to offer a unique Safety and Empowerment Program, designed in-house, to educate Seminole County women specifically on how they can protect themselves in various situations. The program is divided into two courses.
- The first session is 1.5 hours in length. The primary purpose of this session is to teach participants the mindset of minimizing risk of becoming a victim. The method of instruction is primarily instructional, with the last 30 minutes demonstrating basic self-defense techniques: fighting stance, palm strike, elbow strike, and knee strike. This class is regularly hosted at the Sheriff’s Office, or you can request us to come out to your facility or business and present to your group, privately. There is minimal physical activity required of participants.
- Once a participant has successfully completed the first session, they are eligible to attend part-two. This session is 3 hours in length, and primarily hands-on. The classes are scheduled regularly and are held in our Defensive Tactics training room. This session is instructed by SCSO instructors certified in Defensive Tactics instruction through FDLE. This class is capped at 16 participants. This class requires an ample amount of physical activity; participants must come dressed in comfortable, exercise attire, and bring plenty of water.
Both of these classes are currently only open to women. Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. There is no charge to attend.
Register for classes by e-mailing us at email@example.com
Our instructors are available to come and teach the first course to your group or organization, at your facility, or ours. If you are interested in this, please complete our Speaker Request Form, and indicate you would like the STAR program, by following this link https://www.seminolesheriff.org/forms/speakerform.aspx
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Session 1 Thursday March 14, 2019 from 6-8 p.m.
* Session 2 Saturday March 16, 2019 from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. (space limited)
* Session 1 Wednesday April 3, 2019 from 6-8 p.m.
* Session 2 Saturday April 6, 2019 from 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
* Session 2 Saturday April 27, 2019 from 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
Please check back for more upcoming dates, or email us to be placed on a list to be notified first as we add more classes to our schedule.
To register, please send an email to email@example.com
with the date of the class you are interested in attending and your name. Thank you.